Saturday, July 7, 2012

Long Beach Island...The Other Jersey Shore

Although most people think of Snooki when you mention the Jersey Shore, I think of Beach Haven on Long Beach Island. Unlike the TV show, Beach Haven is small family friendly vacation spot. Since my aunt owns a house there, I've visited several times since I was a child. The beach is always beautiful and not too crowded. It was great to sit and read my Kindle while listening to the ocean.


One morning before heading out to the beach, we visited the Long Beach Island Museum. Although it is small, the museum had some interesting exhibits. As a teacher, I particularly loved reading the rules for Beach Haven teachers in 1915. I also learned that shark attacks in 1916 in Beach Haven were the inspiration for the book Jaws.


In addition to the Long Beach Island Museum, we also visited Barnegat Light State Park on the tip of the island. Since we went in the late afternoon, we couldn't climb the lighthouse. However, there were beautiful ocean views from the walkway on the jetty.

 In the next post, read about the other attractions Long Beach Island offers.

No comments:

Post a Comment