Sunday, July 29, 2012

London...The Third Time's the Charm

On Friday, the 2012 Summer Olympics opened in London. I enjoyed watching the opening ceremony since I recognized many famous sights having visited there in both 2010 and 2011. 


Trafalgar Square
One of the shots of London showed Trafalgar Square and the monument to Lord Nelson. Excited fans were sitting on the giant lions at the base of the monument. This made me very jealous. I had tried to climb on top of the lions when I visited in 2010, but I couldn't. I could climb on the platform in front of the lions but I could not climb up the back to sit on top of one. I harassed Dave to help me and he tried. I'm sure we looked ridiculous with him attempting to push me up the lion's back. Even with his help I was unable to climb the lion's back. 

Standing with one of the lions in Trafalgar Square
Thus, I was very happy to see the lions at Camden Lock Market. Since these lions were slightly smaller and not elevated on a platform, I could actually climb on one. I was super excited! (My friends from high school remember my obsession with sitting on animal statues such as the burro in front of Puerto's in Bowling Green.)


Conquering the lion at Camden Lock Market

Last year, I still could not climb on the lions in Trafalgar Square. Kids had overtaken Trafalgar Square waiting for the last Harry Potter movie.  Next time, I go to London I will try again. Maybe the third time's the charm!

1 comment:

  1. Adding to the story...

    One of the days after the "Camp Potter" crowd occupied Trafalgar Square, we walked over there, but it had been cordoned off. Apparently, they were airing Oprah Winfrey's last episode on a big outdoor screen.

    To add insult to injury, Oprah's last episode aired months before on American television...

    ReplyDelete