Saturday, April 6, 2013

Spring Break '13, Part 1 of 3: Hattiesburg

By Lily's first birthday in December, she had visited twelve states.  For me, however, to reach that same amount of states, it took me 12 years, 8 months.  So, why let up at that point?  Well, real easy...  "Mommy and Daddy have these things called jobs that help cover the normal cost of living!"  So, we waited a few months and decided to set out on another adventure...the Gulf Coast!

Along our way on I-59, we stopped here.  One of my cousins (Paul is his name) lives not too far from here and it happened to be a day off for him, his wife, and two-year-old daughter.  So, we thought it was time for them to meet Lily!

We met up with them at Suvin of Thailand, a Thai restaurant not too far from our hotel.  Paul and his family have become regulars there--to the point they know his regular (order):  Chicken Massaman!



As someone who has had a troubled history with Thai food, I was a little skeptical, but I decided to give it another try.  Besides, my cousin wouldn't subject me to that kind of torture, right?  After all, he is a minister...

So, I followed suit and ordered the Massaman.

Heather:  "Did you know that has curry in it?"

Me:  "I'll take a chance tonight, but if it's a complete disaster, Thai will be permanently scratched from the list of acceptable cuisines."

Lily (center) acted a little out of character and sat on a
lap that wasn't Mommy's nor Daddy's without fussing!
Flash forward about an hour...  The food was so good, I took my leftovers with me for the first time!  This time around, the food was semi-sweet, which was great for a change.  Authentic?  Probably not, but it appeals to me, so I don't care.

So, if you're heading up I-59 to Birmingham or down I-59 to New Orleans, stop by here.  You won't regret it!  Get off at the U.S. 49 exit and head south a few miles.  It'll be on the right just after the University of Southern Mississippi campus and just before Forrest General Hospital...or just look it up on Yelp!

No comments:

Post a Comment